Who Tops The Charts As Hollywood’s Richest Actor?
In Hollywood, you always have to expect the unexpected.
An A-list celebrity could become a nobody in a year, and that nobody from a year ago could be the coolest thing since sliced bread now (funny how that works). But the guys who stick around and make a name for themselves rack in some major millions.
Forbes has released their list of the five highest-paid actors in the past year. Guess who made the cut?
Let’s count ’em down and see what they made:
5. Tom Hanks ($35 million): Hanks’ latest film, Larry Crowne, didn’t do his career justice, earning less than $100 million. But the actor still makes some serious bucks from voicing Woody in Toy Story. The franchise’s third film was the highest-grossing animated movie of all time. Hanks next project is starring opposite Sandra Bullock in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
4. Will Smith ($36 million): Lately, Smith has put his own career on the back burner in order to focus on his children’s budding careers. He produced The Karate Kid, which starred son Jaden, and is developing a remake of Annie for daughter Willow. Smith did however pick up a nice big paycheck this year for Men in Black III, slated for a May 2012 release.
3. Adam Sandler ($40 million): While he brings on the laughs, he’s laughing all the way to the bank. Sandler’s films may not be a critic’s fave, but his most recent film, Just Go With It, earned $214 million at the global box office.
2. Johnny Depp ($50 million): Depp came in first on this list last year, but got knocked down this time around. He is known for putting his own quirky, and sometimes scary, spin on every role. Whether he’s tackling an animated film or being a drunk, hot pirate, his movies bring in the cash. Depp’s next role is in Dark Shadows, directed by, you guessed it, Tim Burton.
1. Leonardo DiCaprio ($77 million): The actor shot up to the top from last year’s No. 5 ranking. Between Shutter Island and Inception, DiCaprio had an excellent 2010. Aside from creating buzz because of his romantic life with Blake Lively, this year he’ll star in J. Edgar, a film about the famous FBI director, directed by Clint Eastwood.